Democracy

Election time is slowly approaching - which means voting. Democratic voting seems an ok way to do things, but it does have a few side-effects. While I know there's no perfect voting system, and I'm not suggesting any changes, my thoughts on why elections aren't that interesting:
My vote counts for too much: I'm a debt-less uni student, not renting, working for a US company, and most likely will be not in this country in a few years, it'd be nice if I could somehow optionally weight my vote downwards, but that's not (legally) allowed.
Actually, my vote doesn't matter: My local MP is Alexander Downer - it's not like he's not going to win by many votes, so who I vote for doesn't really make much difference at all. Now, the usual response from people when I say this is: "But what if everyone thought this way?". To which my response is always that they'll think that way whether I do or not, it still doesn't make any difference. The other reaction is "But what if the margin is just one vote?". That's the funny thing about our elections - the number of votes is so big, that if some poll actually came down to a single vote [I'm not sure if it's ever happened], that's within the margin of error, so most likely both sides will get in a legal battle, and maybe even a re-vote called. So no, so long as I don't personally campaign for someone, it doesn't matter - but I don't mind :)
So now there's just the big question left:

And it seems almost certain the answer is: "the guy who sells shirts on his website and has many facebook friends" [i.e. on the right]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beans!

Comment Away!

Sounds good - part 1